Friday, March 25, 2011

Brownsville Station - A Night on the Town


Maybe it's because I'm from the Midwest, but I can really get behind a band like Brownsville Station. Not just because Cub Koda used to write a column in Goldmine called The Vinyl Junkie, but because he so obviously loved writing about the kind of music he loved to play. Brownsville Station was from Detroit, and they seemed influenced by Teenage Movies, Girls and just the thought of a good time. I think this was their second album, and it's pressed on a decent slab o' wax and sounds pretty good (it was recorded at Cleveland Recording). There's plenty of Midwestern, Detroit crunch in the guitars and Michael Lutz handles the vocals with authority.

You really can't ask a record that's been owned by at least two people before me to be any more awesome than A Night on the Town (Previous owners David Coy and D. Hustava both put their names inside the jacket and STILL managed to not own this anymore). This is chock full of guitar solo's, boogie and professing their love for Rock N' Roll. I was thinking of comparing this to Rod Stewart's A Night on the Town (because I'm sure this was Rod's influence), but it's pretty obvious that Rod missed the whole point of what a night on the town should really be all about, and Brownsville Station knows that it means letting it all hang out, kicking out jams if you got 'em and having fun.

I really love the total lack of pretension and self consciousness on this album. They don't care if Jonah's Here to Stay sounds like it should have come out in 1968 instead of 1972, or that it sounds like a Three Dog Night outtake because it's good. They get it back and make it their own, and prove that they aren't just a boogie band. They're the real deal and they deserved every second of fame and every penny Smokin' in the Boys Room finally netted them. Mr. Robert and Leavin' Here bring plenty of Rock attitude and guitars to the party, and while Brownsville Station doesn't reinvent anything here, they don't need to. They're too busy making sure their fans are having fun dancing and partying.

1 comment:

  1. I had a neighbor that was a cousin of Cub Koda and she went out and got me a copy of their then new album YEAH with Cub Koda's autograph which I continue to have in my procession. And got to see him and Brownsville (as they were called back then 79 when they opened up for Blue Oyster Cult). Really wished I could have met him in person. Cub was the reason why I subscribed to Goldmine for his column.

    I think all their albums are fun to listen to, but I think my fave was their 1977 S/T effort for Private Stock (never issued on CD for what reason i don't know) and love the balls out Hot Spit and Lady Put the light out and of course Martain Boogie. After Air Special they broke up but they still hold dear to my heart.

    ReplyDelete