Saturday, March 9, 2013

Shufflin' Around

OK, so here’s an idea I stole from albumblog.net.  They just hit shuffle on their ipod and keep track of the next ten songs and let you know what they were.  Yeah, it’s kinda lazy, but it’s also kinda cool.  They listen to more Progressive Rock than I do, but it’s a cool blog anyway.  I don’t have an ipod, so this is just how my car picked some songs off my USB stick.

1. Big DipperLou Gehrig’s Disease.  I like Big Dipper.  I never really heard of them except for All Going Out Together and San Quentin CA, but they get some love over at Rock TownHall and I got Supercluster when it came out.  This song has some nice, fat chords and some neat picking guitars that sort of follow each other.  The lyrics are weird and funny and strange.

2. Deer TickStung.  I love Deer Tick, and this is one of the kinds of songs that makes me love them.  It’s kind of acoustic and slow and John McCauley’s voice is perfectly worn out for the feel of the song.  So far the drive to where I’m going is off to a good start!

3. Dr. FeelgoodThe More I Give.  Cool!  Some killer Pub Rock from my favorite Pub Rock band.  Wilko Johnson is one of my favorite guitar players ever and Lee Brilleaux is one of my favorite singers.  It’s definitely not a cerebral thing with these guys.  It’s a purely physical attraction, and these guys just make me want to be in a bar, with a band and some good beer on draft.

4. Kings of LeonTaper Jean Girl.  I like KOL.  I know, it’s not cool to like them.  It originally wasn’t cool because they had too much backing them, and now it’s not cool because they sound like U2.  Well, I really like their first two albums a lot, and this is a terrific song with a great garage feel.

5. Dr. FeelgoodI Don’t Mind.   Cool!  I don’t know why, but I swear sometimes the car seems to know when it should go back and play a band again.

6. The GreenhornesLeft the World Behind.  I was kind of glad when The Raconteurs took a break, because I like The Greenhornes a lot.  This is off their last album, which was a long wait.  I like this song a lot.  It’s kind of a psychedelic little three minute trip.  These guys just know what made those weird garage-psych songs work, and they get it right again here.

7. Eddie and the Hot RodsGet Across to You.  Yeah!  More Pub Rock!  The opening song from Teenage Depression.  Awesome.

8. Roxy MusicThe Bogus Man.  This is from their live album.  I love that album, and I only really ever knew one other person that had really ever listened to it, and we used to party to this one up at the baseball field.

9. 22-20’sBaby Brings Bad News.  Not the best song on this album, but it’s a really good album.  I don’t know what happened to these guys.  I guess they hated each other or something, but there’s no denying they made one really good Rawk album.

10. Modern LoversShe Cracked.  While I don’t think you need to follow Jonathan Richman too closely, I am the kind of music snob that think the first Modern Lovers album is one of Rock’s almost perfect moments.  This is one of the best songs on the album, and will require that I sit in the parking lot and listen before I go in.  This was actually out of print for awhile, and that should be a crime.

No comments:

Post a Comment