Friday, May 2, 2014

Brownsville Station - Motor City Connection


Well Crabby mentioned some Brownsville Station stuff in the comment section to Brownsville Station's Yeah! album and I'll tell ya what - I just don't need much prompting to get started listening to anything Cub Koda was connected to.  Because plain and simple, Cub loved Rock N' Roll the same way I do, and he knew why some music was great and why some music just sucks.  You don't need a refined or critical ear for Rock N' Roll, but you do need to know why some stuff, even though it's nothing new, is now and always will be 100 times better than something like say, whoever this year's "Rocker" is on American Idol.  Yeah, maybe Brownsville Station spent too much time in Boogieland, but even their worst is better than every one of those guys on that show combined.  Maybe it's the Detroit Rock N' Roll Swagger?  I don't really know. But I'll say this, whatever it is Brownsville Station had, it's the thing that craftsmanship and attitude only make better.

Because I'll admit it, there's no-one in this band with Rock Super Powers.  No one plays 100 miles an hour, no one writes lyrics that have so many meanings you could write a book about them and no one will make you cry with their beautiful voice.  You will however, have your face rocked off on their killer instrumental cover of Crazy Legs.  It's just bitchin' guitars and a killer harp rocking your ass for three minutes or so.  It's the kind of thing J Geils Band did, but Brownsville Station is just stopping in for a quickie in that genre, and they pretty much show everyone how it's done.  It sounds effortless, but I'm sure it has a lot of thought behind it.

I knew a guy that used to play a lot of Brownsville Station albums (I seem to remember it was either them or a host of Progressive Rockers - kinda weird).  He had this album, and I always remembered Crazy Legs, the fantastic opener Automatic Heartbreak and the truly epic They Call Me Rock N' Roll.  You might be thinking, "only three memorable songs?" but that's not exactly right.  Combination Boogie and Self Abuse are the kinds of things you could count on on a Brownsville Station album.   It's not filler. It might not be brilliant, but you can always put on a Brownsville Station album and you can listen to the whole thing and it's all good.  There's never anything shitty on their records.  Anyway, this guy lived in his own house, over by the airport and he was all by himself with no one near.  He had some kind of old speakers that looked like end tables, and they were huge.  I think he had a shelf full of Pioneer or Marantz stuff and we'd blast the hell out of that thing.  The whole house was probably less than 600 square feet, but when I was 16 I thought it was beyond cool.  He paid like 125 bucks a month for it, which was ridiculously cheap, even then.  I loved going over there.

I bought this at a used record store, I think.  Not really all that long ago.  Maybe just a year or two.  I know it was still sealed, and I couldn't believe it!  I remember the kid asking me if I was going to keep it sealed for an investment, and I just said, "No, I'll probably open this as soon as I get home and play it right away."  He seemed to think I was making a mistake, but I don't buy records to look at.  I buy them to listen to.  And I've listened to every record I have.  I don't get buying them just "because."  I have some records I don't like, but I eventually take them to the record store and get rid of them.  But records I've never played?  That's just stupid.  So anyway, since I got this still sealed, it's like a brand new record from 1975.  It sounds like a brand new record and it looks like one, too!

2 comments:

  1. I love that comment, I don't buy sealed records for investment, I buy to play them. Well said!

    For some reason Motor City Connection never took off. Being on a lousy label more interested in the MOR acts like England Dan/John Ford Coley or Hot (Angel In Your Arms) did not help either. And hardly any of the stores had this album. I found mine in a 2 dollar bin a few years later.

    My faves are the side lead offs Automatic Heartbreak and Load Of Love to which they dusted off and played in their 1979 headline opening up for Blue Oyster Cult. I guess you can say this record is their growing up album after School Punks (sad to say had that record but it skipped and they didn't have any extra copies, it was a cutout) But I've never heard a less than stellar B.S. album and of course anything Cub Koda (RIP) likes is always worth seeking out. A true rocker till the very end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Motor City Connection, but like you said, if Cub had anything to do with it, it's always going to at least be good. One of these days I'll get to Yeah! and School Punks. I know a lot of people ragged on School Punks for being "more of the same" as Yeah! but so what? Motorhead makes the same record over and over and it's a great record, so... Anyway, you should be able to find a nice copy of School Punks cheap. I think mine was only a dollar or two. I just saw some used records the other day, and I was looking at Led Zeppelin records because my nephew likes them, and really mediocre copies of their gazillion sellers started at 20 bucks! Man! That's way too much. I'm glad I don't like them, because I'd be pretty mad about that. But I guess at my age I'd have them all if I liked them.

      Delete