Saturday, July 19, 2014

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

So have you ever watched videos of people looking at their records?  You may think, "Rick, that sounds really fucking stupid."  You wouldn't be wrong, but what's the difference between someone making a video and showing you some new records they just got, or talking about some records they like and writing about their records in a blog?  Really, not that much when you come to think of it.  I started this project mainly just to make sure I keep writing things, using paragraphs, spelling words and generally not turning into one of those IT guys that can only spell or communicate in acronyms. So before you go giving these people a hard time, remember, they're just having some fun with their stuff and lets also remember that those of us that collect records have had some serious issues in the past:

Guys that collect records are notorious for not having girlfriends or wives.  Many of those that did have ended up choosing records over that life.  C'mon, you've met them so don't look at me like that.

Guys that collect records often have all the social skills of a ten year old with a new toy he doesn't want anyone else to touch.  They also often don't understand why people might not give a shit who Robert Ludwig is.  Or what a matrix number is.  Or any number of the little bits of minutiae that give record geeks a hard on.

Guys that collect records often have serious issues with body odor.  Every record show I've ever been to, some cat smells like he doesn't wipe his ass or bathe, and I'll be damned if that dude isn't always following me or just ahead of me.

So we shouldn't be throwing any stones near our incredibly fragile glass house, ya know?

Anyway, I was down a YouTube rabbit hole watching people show off their newest records and I had a pretty entertaining time of it, actually.  Especially with the kids.  The kids are teenagers or young adults, and it's really pretty cool to see just how excited they get about something like finding a Rolling Stones Let It Bleed album with the poster (and to be truthful I don't have one of those, so I'm a little jealous!).  You just go to YouTube and search on Vinyl Community and there's tons of stuff to sit and watch.  The common thread is that everyone is really into records, and the size of the collection doesn't matter.  You can have thirty or 30,000.  All you have to do is hold up your record and go back to kindergarten and do the whole Show and Tell thing.  I'm often very surprised at how much the kids know about Classic Rock and first pressings, label variations. One girl held up a Columbia Two Eye label and called it exactly that.  I didn't know anything about that kind of stuff until I was in my twenties.  I kind of wish the kids would listen to more new stuff, but maybe that will change as they make more money?  New records are expensive, but then again some of the old stuff they dig up isn't exactly cheap.  But I'm not gonna complain about kids listening to records.  Or showing them off on YouTube.  I think it's pretty cool, and they meet other people that like their records.  So good for them.

All of which has nothing whatsoever to do with the first Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers album.  I know I said Damn the Torpedoes was his masterpiece, and I stand by that, but man, I'll tell ya, when this came out in 1976 and I first heard it wherever it was I first heard it, I was really excited about these guys.  I mean this is kind of a scattershot album, but I have loved Breakdown since the day I first heard it, and I still love it. I remember my friend's dad that had a real, honest to goodness, badass stereo in his basement had a little Datsun B210.  That's the little car my friend always tried to get, because he had a killer Pioneer under dash stereo cassette and a bunch of Jensen Coaxials wherever he could fit them in.  Man, Breakdown would just shake the paint off that little car when my friend cranked it up!  That used to be a lot of fun!

I think this record got more play than it might have otherwise just because Breakdown and American Girl were just instant favorites for everyone.  I don't think the rest of the record really holds up to the standard set by those two songs, but Strangered in the Night, and Fooled Again (I Don't Like It) were just good enough to garner some airplay and keep the sides on turntables.  I don't think anyone thought Tom Petty would still be selling out anyplace he wants to this far into the game, but it really doesn't seem like that kind of success couldn't have happened to a nicer, harder working guy that knows how hard it is to make it in Rock N' Roll and also appreciates the history of the genre.  I mean, for me the guy gets into a sameness after Damn the Torpedoes that I'm just not interested in, but he was a new Classic Rocker at the time when it was starting to look like there might not be any of those anymore.  So that's pretty cool.

Well, that was a rambling, mostly incoherent little essay, but that's okay.  I tend to look at these like the kind of things I'd say if you were here listening to records with me and you couldn't figure out how to get a word in edgewise.  Not so much different than the YouTube people, is it?  Except I probably take up less of your time!   But back to my record - I've got an MCA Super Saver pressing, but it's really in great shape, and the vinyl is actually pretty heavy, flat and quiet.  If you're looking for this album, you should be able to get one of these for five bucks or less.  I had an earlier pressing long ago, but it had some issues that I think were related to the pressing plant not quite using enough vinyl to stamp the record.  The first song on both sides was really bad!  This one has been a nice replacement, though.  I hope I come across one of the YouTube kids listening to it and enjoying it.

4 comments:

  1. Hey 2000 man!

    One of the things I miss about nearby record stores is talking with other collectors about what they listening to. I was up at Pawn America in the 20 cent CD bins and the aisle was picked clean but I got more pleasure of seeing some guy with a stack of CDs and the one on top was a Green On Red on Restless which title escapes me. Some woman had forgotten country singer Mark McGuinn CD and I think a Keith Urban. Then I went to Mad City Music X and see about 10 guys scouring through the vinyl section and one guy had a bunch of Beatles and Rolling Stones LPs in his procession.

    That said, radio didn't play Tom Petty and the heartbreakers first album at all and the first time I heard Breakdown was off the FM Soundtrack. First time I heard TP was I Need To Know from You're Gonna Get It, the first Petty album I bought (on 8 track of course). Seen them play on The Midnight Special, Target nor K Mart had the album on vinyl but they had it on 8 Tracks. Go Figure.

    I am in the minority, but I liked the Your Gonna Get It more than the first since I was more familiar with the songs. The first album still remains uneven although Anything That's Rock And Roll gets played here. I guess T.P was a cult artist till Damn The Torpedoes broke big and he's been a rock star ever since. I may have to break out to hear the first album to revisit the songs. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tom Petty? Eh. But I couldn't live without "Even the Losers." For me, that song is worth the whole rest of his career.
    I like your bit on collecting. Brit critic Simon Reynolds has this theory that collecting albums or books is like an emotional sink -- all the emotional energy you didn't use in relationships goes into your collection. Every album is a woman you never met. Every CD-box-set is a relationship you never had, etc. Maybe bullshit, but we all know people whose love goes entirely into their record collections....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tom Petty is definitely not a first tier guy to me, and after Damn the Torpedoes, he hasn't done anything I've cared about, but I like his first three records.

    Dunno about Reynolds' theory. maybe for some people, but as Lydia Loveless put it, I can be more than a little emotionally dense, but I have reasonable interpersonal skills. Then again, I don't have 50,000 records! That's one of those things the internet has taught me - I apparently already have more music than I can listen to over the rest of my lifetime. Yet I keep buying more. I listen to what I buy, but yeah, I suppose there's some I'll never play again. I'm not sure which ones those are though. Considering that, maybe he's right. I'm not very emotionally invested in women I've never met, and there's certainly some records I have that I'm not very invested in, either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You sound like me when it comes to relationships. My last one, we still talk from time to time but let's face I never really gave her much interest as I did from collecting music. Which after 50 years of doing so, probably made it hard for me to ever connect with anybody else from here on out.

    For a music collector like us, just about everything you can ever imagined is out there on the net but I continue to buy more music. I'm sure I'll never play over half of what I got in my collection and sometimes what I donate I'm sure I'll never get back. Unless I find it for a buck somewhere and then I do. But I do listen to what I buy, and then archive them for either further use or taking up space. A never ending process actually.

    ReplyDelete