Tuesday, March 10, 2015

The Record Store Clerk - Friend or Foe?


I think lately people have been posting things about record store clerks on some of the vinyl collector groups I read, so this subject has been rattling about in my head for a few days.  It's funny to read how so many people seem to actually like the fact that they can just sit in their house and order a record so easily these days.  Not really just a record, but any record.  I get that.  it's nothing new, really.  Goldmine and Record Collector have provided that service for as long as I've been collecting records, but I think a whole lot of it seems that people are intimidated by the store clerk.  Like this person behind the counter knows everything and thinks you buy shitty music and might sneer at you.  I mostly just don't get this.  Maybe I've always kind of bought records at stores that carried the kinds of things I liked anyways, but I've never had anyone in a record store be anything other than at the least courteous, if not downright friendly.

Yeah, I've seen High Fidelity and the people in that movie really only wished they actually worked in a record store.  I mean, if a guy comes in looking for any record that store stocks and is met with any shit whatsoever, what record store owner isn't going to can the guy and give the customer a discount on that record?  Yeah, I thought Jack Black's character was pretty funny mostly, too.  Where could he really exist except as a story?

Here in Cleveland we had one huge chain record store called Peaches.  I bought a crate for records there, but I could always get the records they had that I wanted cheaper at stores I liked more.  yeah, they had a ton of records in there, but when one section is Classical, one section is Country, one section is Jazz and Blues and one section is Rock, then you've just got a shitload of records I'll never even flip through.  I've always had better luck at a smaller, independent store that catered more specifically to a Rock crowd, and maybe carried a few of the "cool with the Rockers" artists like Johnny Cash or Miles Davis.  It's no big deal for me to skip and artists section and move on.  I mean, I'm going to ignore Led Zeppelin, too.  Skipping a handful of records is one thing, but I don't get all excited because a store has 20,000 records, because I'm probably only interested in a portion of them anyway.

So if I'm dealing with a person in a big chain store, I figure the odds they even know what I'm getting are slim.  There's a chain of smaller stores around here that are franchises and they're called The Exchange.  Each one is actually kind of different.  The Lakewood store is supposed to be the "cool" one, where the Rock Snobs like myself can find odd things.  I think it's a hit or miss kind of place, but I got Big Star's Nothing Can Hurt Me on orange vinyl there on Record Store Day.  It was late in the day, and when i took it up, the clerk was visibly annoyed that I got it and he didn't even know they got any copies.  I know this, because he said so.  He wasn't rude, though.  He was just kind of upset because he said he was a Real Big Fan, and the manager didn't mind if they found something they liked and bought it themselves.  He just thought they didn't get a copy.  In fact, he asked if there was another one, and my son told him that someone had moved this one out of the Record Store Day rack and mixed it in with something else, and he just happened to find it for me.  the guy was real cool about it, though.  I told him I hoped it would get a wider release so he could get one and he seemed pretty good about it.  He asked about a Dr. John album I bought and I told him it was my first Dr. John album, and that I hoped I'd like it.  I liked the kid a lot.

I've been to other cities to buy records, and I've never met this scary clerk in those, either.  I went to Goner in Memphis, and I had a hard time finding much that I was interested in.  I thought that was odd, because people I think I have a lot in common with said it would be a good store for me.  I found a Pagans album and a Dead Boys album.  The guy there said, "Hey, ya know both of those bands were from Cleveland?"  I said, "So am I.  I'm here on vacation and these are actually long gone up there."  We talked about stuff to do in Memphis and I told him I was a big Reigning Sound fan.  We talked about them and while I didn't find a lot there, I'll be back.

I've been to Jerry's in Pittsburgh.  Jerry is really nice, and we talked about how great Dr. Feelgood was.  We talked about David Werner and Norm Nardini.  He gave me a good chunk of money off the records I bought.  I've bought records from his employees and they were super nice, too.  I loved talking to the guy at Angry Mom in Ithaca.  My wife came down when I was checking out and I told her I needed more money because I got such great records there.  She said something like, "Are you really gonna play the ones you have here?"  Mr. Angry Mom said, "He'll play those.  He picked the really great kinds of records you never get tired of."

What a great guy!

I mean, the first record store clerk I really dealt with was at the long defunct Daisy Music.  I was about 11 and I stopped there and just looked at records all the time, and when I would actually buy one, I'd just ask, "What's the best Yes album?"  I asked that because when you're that young, you think everything can be quantified like that.  He would tell me that the earliest albums were very different from the newer ones, and some people liked the new stuff and hated the old stuff and vice versa.  I told him I loved Roundabout, and he helped me get started on my first favorite band in the world.  I knew the girl that ran the record section at The Shoppe, and she was invaluable in helping me figure out some of the New Wave bands of the early and mid 80's.  I never saw her be anything more than helpful, even when handling a return.  Even from the guy that was returning a record that he claimed made constant noises that shouldn't be there, and when she played it, I confirmed that I couldn't hear it, either.  She told me he returned half of what he bought, and she always made him get the same record, and if it was out of stock she ordered it for him, no matter how much he complained that he wanted something else.  She just put his perfectly good records in the used bin and they'd sell real fast because he just bought new, popular stuff.

These days around Cleveland every owner I've seen is terrific.  Melanie at Music Saves is  my favorite, but she stocks the kind of music I like and makes my special orders easy.  She seems genuinely happy when I say, "Hey that last album I bought here is fantastic and I love it!"  The people there have turned me on to new bands, and I enjoy driving across town, past other record stores so that I can shop there.  I can stop in and say, "Hi."  I can talk about another store I went to.  I can ask about shows around town that people there went to see.  I always walk out with a smile on my face.

I've had to order some things from the internet, but let's face it, Amazon doesn't know me at all.  Their suggestions are often stupid as hell, and if I can order a record locally, I do.  Even if it costs more.  I'm sure the people that work for Amazon are nice enough, but I like talking to real people and I've found that if you go into a record store and say, "Hi!" almost every single person behind that counter is great.  If they're really actually a jerk, then leave.  Don't even poke around.

I think if I actually did run into this mythical Record Store Snob, I'd put my purchases on the counter, excited like I always am, and if they said something condescending or rude, I'd be twice as rude back to them.  I try to be polite, but I don't have any problem being a giant asshole.   What's wrong with just saying, "What the fuck do you know about what I like?"

Look, you're collecting records.  The big selling points are things like, "The tangible product makes me feel more connected to the artist.  Records make me feel more connected to the community."  So get connected to the community.  Meet the 99% of people in record stores that are really great.  Talk to people like you.  People that love records.  Your computer and your credit card may not judge you, but they also provide the same excitement as making your car payment.  You deserve better than that when it comes to your hobby.  Ask the people that live hours away from any record stores.  They don't miss driving to the store.  They miss flipping through the records, which were laid out by a person that made decisions about where to the bins, what order the display bins go, what's on sale and what records go on the walls.  The person that does that is there for the love of it, not because they're making tons of money.  Go meet a real person in a real record store! 





5 comments:

  1. Great Post!

    Alas all of local record stores are now gone but I know my fave stores in driving distance. I'm partial to the folks at Moondog Music, Ragged Records (Davenport), and Co Op (Moline Ill) and I suppose it's time to see what Madison has for music up at Mad City Music X and Strictly Discs.

    I used to spend long hours at the old Relics talking with Jerry and Rock N Bach with Jim Henson. With their stores closed up, the only folks in town that still talk music is Bruce at the pawnshop and Tim when I see him at half priced books. Sometimes you/I will strike up a conversation and talk about a band and I eventually go look them up and rediscover them and others.

    Sometimes at Antique Malls or Record Shows I'll get into chat with folk over something that i brought. Seems like the lady at the Antique Mall got quite a chuckle over the cover of the 1969 Peanut Butter Conspiracy For Children Of All Ages. I'm sure she didn't know who this band was.

    Sometimes I meet record store folk who tend to take things a bit too seriously, Rich Rosen from Wax Trax comes to mind, not exactly buyer friendly but once I started asking him about something I was looking for, he did open up and we chatted for a spell. Other times, when I'm Zia's in Tucson, the sales associates tend to annoy me when they ask me if I'm looking for something six times in a row. Thankfully I never encountered a Jack Black type of person in High Fidelity at any record store. I may have been thrown out of a couple complaining about their crappy music but I have never had anybody talk me out of buying something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, thanks! I don't go to many places where they ask me over and over if they can help me, but I have been in them. I don't usually go to an unfamiliar store with something in mind. I get those at Music Saves. I usually take say, 50 dollars and just shop until I'm out of money. I've had a couple of people thank me just for checking all their stock, and putting the things I didn't want back where they belonged.

      I don't like Graham's Records in Erie. He's got records he won't sell on the floor, so I just don't go there. If I owned a store and hadn't priced records yet, I'd think about what I paid for the lot, and charge to try and get that investment back. then everything else is gravy and you're moving product OUT of the store. If you can get 100 bucks for a record, great. If it takes two years to get it, and you could have sold it for 50 in a day, which one really made you more money?

      It just seems funny that so many people seem to be intimidated by someone that works at a record store. I just never thought of people in a record store as anything other than fans like me. I know I'm not very intimidating!

      Delete
  2. Hi, 2 -- Speaking as a former record store clerk, you sound like The Perfect Customer. I've never had a really bad time in any record store, though I've been in a couple where the folks behind the counter could have been a little less "cool" and "with it," a little more human.
    You make some good points about ordering on the Internet. Here's my thing -- I'm 35 miles from the nearest decent used record store, so I'm doing well if I go once a year. I miss it, but. It being so far away helps keep a handle on my budget.
    I DO have a favorite used book store, about a mile down the road, and I've found some amazing things there and told them so. They've always treated me good, I've been going there for a decade, and if I'm buying books they're the first place I stop. I plug them on my blog every chance I get.
    But if I can get an album or book I've always lusted after for a penny plus shipping, I'll be visiting Amazon. True, some of their suggestions for Other Things I'd Like are kind of lost, but they don't have to be an expert about me, I usually know what I'm trying to find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey TAD! I'm not sure I'm a "perfect" customer, but I'm a happy one. I'm glad I can buy records and I love the record store. Every other store is for shit that keeps the house running, or food or clothes and none of that stuff is fun. So the record store is like the toy store, and I'm fortunate to have more than one in my town. I know there's people that don't live near a record store and I'm sure I'd be ordering stuff online as well if I were in that situation. For people that don't need to be in that situation, I just don't get not going out and interacting with people. Who else gives a shit that you found Hawkwind's Hall of the Mountain Grill than people in the record store? You're going to play it all by yourself, so it may be the only time you ever really get to talk about it!

      Delete
  3. Yeah, you're right, HALL is a great album -- thank Ghod for the cutout bins! I'm laughing, I'm laughing....

    ReplyDelete