Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Eddie and the Hot Rods - Teenage Depression


This is another album I found out about from a friend's older sister. My friend Dave and I were caddies for a couple of summers, and lemme tell ya, that was some seriously good money! On days when we only felt like carrying 18, we'd generally head back to his house and listen to records and smoke. We liked bands like Angel and Bachman Turner Overdrive but in 1976 we were 14 and starting to branch out a bit. Dave's sister had some cool records, and Eddie and the Hot Rods were two of her coolest. She had the first ep, Live at the Marquee, which had a killer version of Bob Seger's Get Out of Denver on it. We listened to that a lot, and then shortly after finding that one, she had this new album, Teenage Depression. Teenage Depression was different because it had more songs, and they weren't all live. I think we found a fanzine with a review of the album, and like with damned near every band in the 70's they'd say, "it's good, but you need to see them live." Well, when you were 14 and lived in the suburbs in Ohio that wasn't gonna happen. Those little bands played in bars, and you had to be 18 to get in most bars. Some of them you had to be 21. So the records are what we had.

So I didn't actually own this one until Captain Oi! rereleased it in 2000. Ya know what was cool about that cd? It had that live ep included, so I got Teenage Depression and I got Get Out of Denver, and that was really great. I loved the sound of the guitars and I especially liked the broken glass on the title track (a trick that generally hooks me to this day). I had no idea what Pub Rock was, and I certainly didn't know what Punk was, but the appeal of tight, fast songs like Get Across to You and the killer hook in Double Checkin' Woman just stuck in my head for decades. I could have ordered the record, but I just don't do that very often. I like to find the records I buy, so sometimes I do without. I really shouldn't have done without on this one. I still love it to death, and it's not just nostalgia. I hate when the only thing a record has going for it for me is nostalgia. This one has a little nostalgia, but mostly I just think it's a killer album.

The one thing that bums me out about the British Punk scene is how quickly the kids disposed of great bands like Eddie and the Hot Rods and Dr. Feelgood. These are great songs. They're tight, they're fun and they're raucous. What more would you want from your Rock N' Roll?

4 comments:

  1. GREAT album, indeed...and their next one, "Life On The Line," was even better! But, as you said, they got lost in the punk rock shuffle. Such a shame!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tend to agree Life On The Line might be the better of the two, but I love both Teenage Depression and Life On The Line since I have them on LP for many years and played them more than, say Journey or Skynyrd. If only classic rock radio played Eddie And The Hot Rods the world would be a more cooler place to be ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you guys are right about Life on the Line, but this was one I played with a guy who was a "best" friend for a couple of years and then we just kind of drifted apart. We always were friends, but we went from doing everything together to just catching each other at parties and stuff. So this is the one that probably means the most to me. I found it on vinyl, too. Probably shortly after I wrote this. Crabby is dead on - why doesn't Classic Rock radio play this stuff? Why do they suck SO much?

      Delete
  3. I ask myself that question many times while trying to find something to listen to on the radio ;)

    I came across Teenage Depression via the Soundtrack to Rock And Roll High School and then bought the album. Not sure where I bought it, maybe the late great Record Realm perhaps?

    ReplyDelete