Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Neil Young - Decade


I first owned this on an 8 track tape. It was actually two 8 tracks, and I think I got it from Columbia House. I remember when I was 16 we went on vacation in North Carolina, and my dad let me drive the rented motor home one day. I drove it like 500 miles that day, and I don't care what you think, that's a long day behind the wheel (and I still drive a lot for work, so I know). I had all my 8 tracks, and my dad really generally hated Rock music, but he let me play my tapes because it actually seemed to matter to me what music we were listening to. I think dad could take or leave Neil for the most part, but some of the softer songs seemed to keep him happy enough. But I had no idea he was paying that much attention until right after the part in Campaigner when Neil sings, "even Richard Nixon has got soul." My dad laughed and said, "I like Neil Young. I think he knows more than you think."

Now I'm not sure what the old man meant by that, but I think it was obvious to him that I liked the noisy stuff like Cowgirl in the Sand and Like a Hurricane more than songs like Campaigner or For the Turnstiles. I still like Neil at his more noisy, but I always remember my dad when I hear Campaigner, and sometimes I play that side just cuz I miss him.

Nowadays I've traded in my cd version of this album and I've got a really nice vinyl copy. Three record sets were expensive in the 70's, so it was nice to find a decent copy of Decade at a garage sale a few years ago for a quarter. I mean it was really decent! It plays fine, and I'm gonna trade it in sometime soon and some record store around here will make a few bucks off it for sure. I paid a little more for the copy I'm keeping, but it's a real peach.

There was a time when I was a teenager that I thought Neil Young was almost godlike. Then he got real weird and released Trans and that International Harvesters crap, and I tuned out. I was fine with my cd of Decade and my vinyl Live Rust and that was all the Neil I needed. I've since been moving back into my Neil is awesome mode, and Decade is really one of the reasons why. I always loved Walk On, and On the Beach used to be an expensive album to get if you could find one, and Cowgirl in the Sand is still one of my favorite songs ever, even though it's like an hour long.

It's kind of funny that this album was so important to me when I was a kid, and as I've been getting into Neil again lately, it's still an easy "go to" album for me. Yeah, I've got On the Beach and After the Goldrush and other albums, so I can play the "proper" versions if I want, but I like the way the songs go together on Decade. I like that Love is a Rose is followed by Cortez the Killer and I love how Neil tracked side four, with Ohio, Soldier and then Old Man right in a row. I may decide I'm bored with Neil again someday, but I'll probably never get tired of Decade. I can't think of many other albums that bring me a sense of nostalgia, but also seem to have something for me right now like this album does. Maybe it's because the more the world changes the more the same old bullshit floats to the top, but then again maybe Neil really did know more than I think he does.

3 comments:

  1. Awesome piece! Great story about the road trip with your dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I actually liked reading it after I wrote it, which doesn't happen very often.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Dad was a smart, observant, man. Like, Dylan, Neil would open your eyes with the truth, or just as easily take you down a pleasurable road of fantasy. Two of music's finest poets and thinkers. And I'm with you in preferring Neil's rockers over his ballads for simple listening enjoyment. The man is an exceptional guitar player and musician with a unique style of playing.
    Decade was spun a great deal at my favorite bar back in the '80s. I can still hear Cinnamon Girl rocking perfectly in the place through BOSE speakers mounted on seperate walls. A beer in my hand, feeling like there is no other place in the world I would rather be "right now", than "right here".
    Decade is a great collection of Neil songs every Rock fan should own. 'Cortez The Killer' is one of my favorite Rock songs period. There's no doubt Young is a special artist, and like you, I was perplexed and unimpressed with Trans and his simple Country period. But even his latest offerings demonstrate Neil has not lost his ability to rock your socks off and make important staements of truth at the same time.

    ReplyDelete