Sunday, September 4, 2011

Peter Case - Wig!


I really like Peter Case. I know his time in The Plimsouls is what he's best known for, but his solo stuff is always a treat. The guy has consistently made great music for decades now, and The Plimsouls are really just a brief period in his career. This album came out in 2010 on nice 180 gram vinyl with some extra songs to download as mp3's. The recording itself is kind of a lo fi affair, but if you ask me, that's usually the best way to go. I think I actually hear real life in a kind of lo fi way, so a recording like this sounds like I'm in the same room as the band. That's what it's all about, right?
I've always liked the fact that Case seems to be able to put a whole album's worth of decent songs on his records. He never has a "one side and done" record, and Wig! is more than decent. It's entirely fun to listen to the whole way through, with serious subjects like health care and shelter for the poor and relationships and a revisit to Old Blue Car and Case just kills every song. I think this was easily my favorite album in 2010, and if I ever own a radio station, I'll make all my DJ's play Peter Case songs. One day, when Peter is 75 they're gonna finally trot him out for a Grammy and the 20 somethings of that era will fully embrace him. That's bullshit because he deserves some support right now. If you like lo fi bluesy goodness, you'll love this.

No comments:

Post a Comment